Sunday, May 30, 2010

serenade

Since I'm always talking about all the negative things that happen on the el, I thought I should mention it when something sweet happens. And sweet things DO occasionally happen. Like last night.

I was on the el when this man with two little boys got on the el. He was carrying the one year old. And told the other little boy to sit down in the seat he pointed to. But instead of sitting there the little boy went and sat next to this older man with a guitar. He put his hand on the older man's leg to help himself get up in that adorable way that only toddlers with their wee little hands and their sweetness can do.

Everyone who saw it said, "ahhh." And so seeing that the boy was interested in the guitar, he took it out and gave him an impromptu concert.



After the boy got off the el, the man was putting the guitar back inside his case, which was lined on the inside with lots of old photos. He pointed at one of them and told us that it was his wife back when she was 13 years-old. He told us that he wrote a love song about her that went something along the lines of "I first met you, when you were twelve years-old..."

And then he stopped singing and said, "Even back then she had 38 DD's and that was the first thing I noticed about her!" A fitting note for the ride to end on, because, after all, this is still the el, people.

2 comments: