Friday, May 28, 2010

swimsuit season

I hate it. I hate being bombarded with these ads and catalogs and magazines that make you feel crappy about your body.

I know that they sell better when they put their bikinis on these gorgeous, airbrushed women. I get that. But it doesn't mean I have to like it. Not with the amount of women that I know that have body issues. We need it to change!

I received two catalogs in the mail last week. One was from Victoria's Secret and the other was from Athleta.

This is the Victoria's Secret ad:



The women in all the ads are beautiful. And they are probably all a size zero. But look at the arms of the models in the Victoria's Secret catalog. Gross. They look anorexic. And while the models in the other catalog are also skinny, at least they have some muscle on them so that you can imagine that they got to be that thin in a healthy way instead of just starving themselves to death.






Obviously I like the Athleta catalog better simply because the women look more natural and aren't doing these sexy little pouty poses. Do you notice how the VS models have to really jut out their hips to give the appearance that they have some curves to their body?

Can we program ourselves to really tune this stuff out? What if we didn't have to see this all the time?

What if instead, we were constantly bombarded with things that made us feel better about ourselves?

1 comment:

  1. BY THE WAY--- I agree. :D Completely. I hate hate HATE that my kids are probably taking in this kind of crap information even though I'm doing everything I can to prevent that. It's such a load of $hit. But you read my blab about it. it's bull$hit and it almost makes me want to throw a bikini and and strut around in my VERY REAL gave birth to 4 children body. ALMOST. hehe

    ReplyDelete