Sunday, May 16, 2010

the answer is yes

I've been working on my sex ed book again. Whenever I mention it to someone new, I feel like the need to explain that it isn't some sort of dirty how-to manual.

When asked why I am writing it, instead of giving them a million reasons, I typically tell them the story of my friend's boyfriend that inspired me.

My friend and I were laughing at her ex-boyfriend who once asked her if she could pee when she had a tampon in, or if she had to take it out every time she peed.

We thought he was dumb. So I retold that story to some of my male friends and their response surprised me.

Their response typically was, "Well, CAN you?" Yes, fellas, we can pee with a tampon in. It's a totally different hole.

I think there is an extreme lack of knowledge or just misinformation out there.

I think one of my skills is really dumbing things down for people. I'm not trying to reach a population that wants to know all the different Latin terms for body parts or who wants to know which hormones are released during which stage of the reproductive cycle. There are medical text books for that.

I am trying to reach the general population, the not overly educated population, the population that doesn't love to read. Lots of pictures, minimal text while still conveying as much information as possible. It can be done and I am just the woman to do it.

2 comments:

  1. I WANT AN EXCERPT!!!!!!! Please? I love this! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tampon-pee thing isn't too crazy...

    When I taught anatomy most folks (male/female) thought that the ejaculatory duct was another word for the urethra. It's not. It feeds sperm into the urethra ala the prostate.

    And on the topic of urethras - us guys have four of them that the pee goes through before exiting. With or without tampon.

    ReplyDelete