Have you guys ever heard about Post Secret?
"It all began with an idea Frank Warren had for a community art project. He began handing out postcards to strangers and leaving them in public places- asking people to write down a secret they had never told anyone and mail it to him, anonymously."
The idea really took off and he has a website http://postsecret.blogspot.com/
He also put together a few books which is how I heard about him.
Some of the secrets are funny and some are sad.
To give you an example, I just opened to a random page and these are the four secrets (there is art to go with it but you will have to check it out for yourself to see that) on that page:
How I've stopped cutting myself but started plucking my pubic hair out with tweezers instead.
I once wrote an x-rated letter to a boyfriend who broke up with me before I could give it to him.
...I gave it to my next boyfriend. :)
I believe that my dead grandmother watches me with great disappointment every time I masturbate.
i considered pressing statutory rape charges
just so he'd regret breaking my heart.
but then he'd never want me back
I'd say about 90% of the cards are about love (lost or longing) and self-esteem.
It's a great reminder of how we are all just people. Messed up, problem-filled, really awesome people.
Okay, I flipped through the book a little more and came across this one:
Dear Frank,
I have made six postcards all with secrets that I was afraid to tell the one person I tell everything to, my boyfriend. This morning I planned to mail them, but instead I left them on the pillow next to his head while he was sleeping. Ten minutes ago he arrived at my office and asked me to marry him.
I said yes.
Come on, admit that made you smile. How good does it feel to overcome your fears and admit them to the people whose love means the most to you? Or just to the world in general?
Once you admit it and talk to people about your fears (hopes, dreams, worries, etc) they stop being such a huge scary thing in your life.
Here's one more for the road:
I trashed my parents house to look like I had had a party while they were out of town...
... so my mom would think I had friends.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh no, that last one broke my heart! I did that one time- not trashed the house, I told my biggest secret ever to someone who I thought might judge me. I was sooooo scared. And...open arms, all the way. It was amazing, and it made me feel braver to retell it. It helps if someone loves you first, of course. Frank rocks. Now everyone in the world can have one person to tell absolutely everything and anything to!
ReplyDeleteWow. That last one is a killer. Isn't this what secret blogs are for? =)
ReplyDelete