
One of the perks of living in the burbs is doing little cheesy things like "Quiz Night" at the local bar. Not only are drinks incredibly cheap- I got four glasses of wine for $20!!! But the people are soooo nice.
Except for when they are kicking our butts and laughing about it!
My team was actually doing quite well until we got to the special neutralizer round. During that round, you don't HAVE to answer all the questions. You still get a point for each question you get right. But if you get a SINGLE question wrong, you get zero points for the whole round. Well, we got a single question wrong, and it is hard to bounce back from that.
The best thing that happened last night is that they actually asked some questions that I knew the answer to. Like they asked what the name of the mountain range that separates Spain from France is- well it helps that I lived in the foothills of the Pyrenees mountains for four months! Cha-ching!
Emily was a little bit late picking me up so I was reading "Useless Knowledge: Answers to questions you'd never think to ask" while waiting for her. I only read about three pages. And I was on the section about insects.
The most interesting factoid that I learned from the book was, "Spiders never spin webs in structures made of chestnut wood. That is why so many European chateaux were built with chestnut beams- spider webs on a 50-foot beamed ceiling can be hard to remove."
One of the questions on the quiz just happened to ask which type of insect has the most species. Luckily, not an hour before seeing this question I had read, "There are more beetles on Earth than any other type of creature. Within the beetle family, the number of species alone is nearly a quarter-million." What are the chances that I would have just read that?!?!
I love little things like that.
My team came in second to last place, by the way! But we had a damn good time doing it! :)
I'm so bummed we missed it. Please invite us again? xoxo
ReplyDelete