


These are some pics that I took of myself tonight because I thought it might be helpful for this story to see what the woman was seeing...
So I was waiting on the el platform today on my way to work and this woman walked up to me and asked me something. I didn't hear her but she seemed to actually be a normal person (not a crazy person, like my stories usually revolve around) so I said, "What?" and she repeated her question.
She asked me, "Are you American?"
Huh?
I could tell she wasn't asking about my patriotism, but about my nationality.
With my backpack and big clunky gym shoes I was feeling decidedly American looking.
So I told her that I was indeed American. She told me that I looked exotic and foreign.
I explained that I was a mutt which gave me that look.
She wanted to know what nationalities I was.
And this is the part that I always find so funny. I told her that I was 50% Polish, 25% German and then a little bit Bohemian (Czech), French-Canadian and Native American.
Without fail when I say "Native American" that is when everyone nods and let's out a satisfied "ahhhh!" as if that was what they were looking for and that is what explains it.
But the thing is, I look exactly like my mother who is 100% POLISH!!!! These cheekbones have absolutely nothing to do with being part Native American, they are entirely from being Eastern European!
And then she corrected me and told me that I shouldn't say Native American, I should say "indigenous."
I was tempted to tell her that being Native American, I could call myself whatever I wanted, but she was a nice lady and she followed it up by saying, "Whatever you are, you are beautiful, in case nobody has told you today."
Ahhh! That was nice. Since I'm not dating right now, I really don't get compliments so I will take them wherever I can get them- whether it be four-year olds or random ladies on the train! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment