Thursday, May 20, 2010

paramotor

Of all the days not to have my camera phone on me!

I just went running to the park where I usually do my sprints. There were people on the tennis courts so I couldn't run there. There was a guy practicing his fly fishing and some people playing with their dogs on the soccer field but I decided there would still be enough room for me to do my sprinting without being in their way.

I was all set to go when I saw this swarm of grade school children descending upon the field from the neighboring school. They quickly took over the field and I was preparing to go on my merry way when I saw this dude, with this thing, and I was intrigued.

As I watched him unfold his equipment (and then as I eavesdropped while he talked to the children) it became clear what he was doing.

He, with just the protection of a bike helmet mind you, was going to attach himself by a harness onto a huge gasoline propelled fan and then latch a parachute to the harness and go paragliding!

As I searched for images when I got home, since I sadly did not have my camera with me, I discovered that this is actually called paramotoring.

After watching him frantically fiddle with the non-working engine for about twenty minutes, I thought about leaving, but by this time I had already invested so much time into this that I felt the need to stay to the end. Besides, I was enjoying talking to the other snarky adults who had stopped by as we determined his chances of success.

It took a while but he finally did it! He got airborne and zoomed all over the park!

I'm still not sure exactly what the point of it was and why the kids were there to watch him, but I enjoyed it, so thank you Mr. Random Paramotor Man!



No comments:

Post a Comment