I'm fairly laid back. When I'm in a good mood, pretty much everything rolls off of me. When I'm in a bad mood, not so much. But for the most part it does.
Especially at work I tend to roll with the punches and have infinite patient with my clients. They are paying me to be nice to them. I will be nice to them, no matter how annoying they are. I pride myself on my client handling skills.
But yesterday I had a client who was driving me nuts. She was jumpy. I understand that some people are a little uncomfortable the first time or two that they get a massage. I can cut them a break. But she has had at least 15 massages. And every single therapist has noted that she is jumpy. And I can understand that some people are ticklish- which again is annoying, but I can at least understand that a little bit. This woman was not ticklish.
There are certain things that you do to help clients not be jumpy... you start with your hand in a very neutral area like the top of the shoulders and then move it from there and you maintain constant contact with the client's body... no jumping around and moving your hand from their shin to their low back. And you go at a slow and even pace. No surprises. No REASON for a damn client to be jumpy! I mean, really? Why are you freaking out when my hand touches your back? Is it a surprise?!? I don't think so... you came in and are PAYING me to put my hand on your back, dumbass!
There is no reason for it to annoy me as much as it does, other than that it stops me from giving a really great massage. And when I get annoyed I just remind myself that I have no idea what is going on in this client's mind or in her life... she may have been abused, it might have taken her years to even get to this point where she could let someone else touch her.
Or she might just be annoying and stupid, but I will give her the benefit of the doubt just in case.
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment