One of the questions that people and clients often ask me is if my hands get tired/ hurt from giving massage.
Usually my answer is no. They don't hurt. That's the big reason that people go to massage school- to learn how to give multiple massages in a day without hurting yourself. Plus having the massage table really helps. You can adjust it to the right height and then use your body weight to apply pressure rather than having to work your arm muscles.
That's usually my answer.
Yesterday if you had asked me around 6 PM, you would have gotten a whole different answer. Yes, it hurts so bad! And then I probably would have broken into emotionally exhausted tears.
I've been on vacation for two of the last three weeks. Giving massage is like any other athletic activity- if you don't do it for a while you get out of shape! So it's been slow and it's been slow and it's been slow and then suddenly BHAM! Yesterday I was fully booked with five and a half hours of massage, and of course all of them wanted deep tissue. That's the equivalent of not working out for two months and suddenly playing in a soccer tournament. And did I mention that I didn't have a break? For some reason the front desk staff decided that I didn't need to take a lunch yesterday. I explained that just because my lunch time is "flexible" does not mean it is okay for me to not have one.
It was rough. It reminds me of when I first started out and overworked myself and had to go home and ice every night. Owwwieee!
So I'm not going to lie to you guys, it does hurt sometimes. But it is still worth it. Completely and totally worth it.
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment