Do you know what I hate? People who are famous just for being famous. Not famous because they are talented, or good people, or really smart or doing something interesting. Famous just for being famous.
Reality TV stars are probably the biggest example of this. Why on earth should I ever KNOW the name Spencer Pratt? I shouldn't. He is nobody. He is not worth my time or anyone else's time.
A similar but slightly different grievance I have is when famous people rest on their laurels.
I went and saw Dennis Leary on Saturday night.
He was eh. (it would help if you could see me right now, I am doing a little frowny type face, a la the Godfather, and shrugging my shoulders as I say "eeeh")
The very drunk woman in front of us who was laughing at EVERYTHING didn't think he was eh. But I wasn't impressed. And even that woman's boyfriend kept looking over at her like, "really? you are laughing at this? why am I dating you?"
Dennis Leary was the main comic and MC. He also had three other men with him. Who were all HILARIOUS. And do you know why they were so funny? Because they had to be. Because nobody really knows them. People aren't going to come to see them just because they are famous, so they actually have to have some talent. People come to see Dennis Leary just because he is Dennis Leary. And he seems okay with that. I wasn't. You kind of sucked, Dennis Leary. Just letting you know.
It's not okay for me to give some clients some good massages a few years ago and then slack off.
It's not okay for a doctor to cure a bunch of people a few years ago and then stop helping his current patients.
It's not okay for a basketball star to win the first few games and then not score any more baskets.
Why is it okay for Dennis Leary to have been funny a few years ago and then just stop trying?
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment