Sunday, June 6, 2010

meltdowns

Older siblings really get the short end of the stick. And this is coming from a youngest child, mind you.

While hanging out with my nieces this weekend, I would see Lily, the five-year old, constantly have to give up stuff to the three-year old, Ella. Why? Because we knew that Lily could control herself and live with the disappointment whereas we didn't want to deal with Ella's meltdowns. How fair is that? Not fair at all!

But it does amaze me how many times a day little kids can break into tears. A) they seem to fall and hurt themselves a lot. I'm not sure if they just have low pain tolerances. Or if my nieces are unusually clumsy. But that happens at least ten times a day. And B) they cry out of disappointment.

It got me thinking about being an adult. I don't think our feelings change as we get older... we just learn to control them better. Can you imagine if we broke out into tears because our favorite TV show was not shown because of a stupid important breaking news cast? We don't. But is it healthier to keep all of our disappointments bottled in like we do?

I don't know if it is healthier, but I know that I don't want to deal with crying people all day long, so I am glad we learn to control it.

1 comment:

  1. I totally thought of this post today. I was in the middle of doing a very important task for work for the first time ever today, and CJ and Josh came home (8 and 6). I very frantically asked CJ if he would help get all the other kids a snack (Josh-6, Julia,5 Jordan 3, Chuckie, 4 Samantha 2) because I honestly had to finish what I was doing or it would cause a ruckus. My boss was waiting on me and I was stressin. He did so good. he did it. He didn't even get his snack til way later (the same way I don't get to eat often). I thought of your post, sat him down, told him how much I appreciated his help, and am taking him out Wed for icecream, just him and me. THANK YOU for the reminder. I hate feeling like he gets screwed out of being a regular kid sometimes. : ) THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete