Saturday, July 17, 2010

yum yum give me some!

Green City Market BBQ.

Have you ever heard of it?

Lots of people haven't, even though it has happened annually for about ten years now.

What is it?

It is ridiculous!

What is it, really?

It is a big, gluttonous food fest in Lincoln Park. All the best restaurants in Chicago have a booth where the chefs serve one special dish. You buy a general ticket to get you in and then you can eat and drink as much as you want.

It was so good. It lasts for two hours, which is actually more than enough time. I pictured long lines and only being able to try a few things. They limit the amount of people and so the lines move quickly along.

The only problem is that the heat index was about 99 degrees. And who the heck wants to stuff their faces when it is that hot? I foolishly ate all of the first things that I tried and then was only willing to take a single bite of the later things.

But yum!

I had actually only heard about cooking chicken like this for the first time ever this year. Do people really do this? I had no idea.





There were a lot of delicious things and there were some things that I didn't particularly love. Luckily there were plenty of choices. This was a "savory macaroon" that my sister handed me. I took one bite, which was okay, and asked my sister what was in it. Smoked trout. I then yelled at my sister about not knowing when she should lie to me. There are certain things that I am okay with eating as long as I don't know what I'm eating. Fish and I are not friends.



A lot of restaurants planned their menus with the heat in mind and served fun things like these frozen watermelon bites.



I soooo didn't need to see this.



Did I mention that it was about 100 degrees? I really did not need a close up pic at this point.



We got to meet Rick Bayless. My sister made him laugh! And his tacos were delicious, though by that point I was so stuffed that I was only willing to try one bite.



So yeah, that's our little glimpse into how the other half lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment