Wednesday, July 21, 2010

my calling

Do you know what my problem is?

I know what you are thinking- I only have the one?!?

Anyways, my problem is that I didn't have to think at all when choosing my first career. I knew I was going to be a massage therapist since I was 11 years old. I KNEW it! It felt so right. It was my calling.

Now, as I have decided to embark on a new career, I feel so lost and scared and confused- because nothing is calling me. I think about different jobs and I think, "Sure, I could do that, I guess."

It just feels so wrong because the last time I chose a career I was so certain.

Is this what everybody feels like when deciding on a job?

How did you choose your career/job? How did you know it was right for you? Or, are you in a job that's not right for you?

3 comments:

  1. I had to just jump into something and try it. Then I jumped around a bit, slowly figuring out what it was about each position that I liked and disliked. It all worked out though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought for the longest time I was going to be a physician, but when the rubber hit the road I didn't see any opportunity to answer all of the science questions I had. I tried industry, and quickly saw I needed more degrees to be my own boss. Hence where I am today.
    Whatever the career, it shouldn't seem as much like work as it is something you enjoy doing (at least a little bit). For me a little scientific discovery makes up for a lot of blood, sweat, and tears.
    What doesn't feel like work to you, that's what's next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo. . . let's talk about this tonight. Marc is going through the same thing, as did I two years ago. I think it's important to get warmer in life. . . not cooler. So, to Jamie's point, try lots of things. Volunteer, have coffee with interesting people, get on LinkedIn and start networking etc. Do something completely different than you normally would and discover something new about YOU. It's not a decision you just make one day. It's pretty gradual. But, like I said, keep getting warmer. . .

    Great post, Nik. What are you thinking for the next chapter??

    ReplyDelete