Wednesday, February 10, 2010

self-help

I love self-help books. Well, good ones, anyways. One of my favorite writers is Steve Chandler.

Last night instead of picking up a novel before bed, I decided to read of few chapters of Steve's book "100 Ways to Motivate Yourself." I've had this book for about five years and am only on page 59!

Anyways, none of the things in the book are particularly new. I've heard most of them before. But they are good reminders.

Here is a passage I really liked about being proactive:

Many of us can spend whole days reacting without being aware of it. We wake up reacting to news on the clock radio. Then we react to feelings in our body. Then we start reacting to our spouses or children. Soon we get in the car and react to traffic, honking the horn and using sign language. Then, at work, we see an email on our computer screen and react to that. We react to stupid customers and insensitive bosses who are intruding on our day. During a break, we react to a waitress at lunch.
This habit of reacting can go on all day, every day. We become goalies in the hockey game of life, with pucks flying at us incessantly.
It's time to play another position. It's time to fly across the ice with the puck on our own stick ready to shoot at another goal....
Plan your day the way Bill Walsh planned his football games. See the tasks ahead as plays you're going to run. You'll feel involved in your life at its very essence, because you'll be encouraging the world to respond to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment