Thursday, February 11, 2010

living in the present

I know all sorts of people who are trying to (and struggling with) living in the moment and being present.

It is easy to get caught up in harping on the past or worrying about the future.

We always say to "be in the present." What does that mean? How do we do it?

Well, I had a brilliant insight last night. What better way to mentally put ourselves in the present than to physically put ourselves in the present?

Pay attention to your five senses. Feel the keys under your fingers as you type. Hear the song that the keyboard makes as you tap out the words. See the colors. Taste what you had for lunch still lingering in your mouth. Smell the fabric softener in your sweatshirt.

There are so many great sensations out there that we just blow right by. Let your senses ground you in the present.

1 comment:

  1. I like closing my eyes on the bus. One, I can't see the crazies, but the noises and potholes are something to experience even so.

    ReplyDelete