Sunday, February 21, 2010

beauty

I was thinking about women and ads today. There has been a big movement in the last couple of years to get more "normal" looking women in advertisements.

Women complain that these ads are setting the standard for some sort of ridiculous ideal that they will never measure up to. Destroying our self-worth.

And that most of the ads are airbrushed and touched up. Nobody is really that perfect.

That's what we tell ourselves anyways. And I agree. They should have more normal looking women in the ads.

I did, however, have a client today who was gorgeous. And she wasn't a model or an actress. She had some normal job. Lived a normal life. But she was stunning. Perfect hair, perfect skin, perfect body. Not a hint of cellulite.

If it makes you feel better, she DID have a lot of knots in her shoulders!

It just got me thinking, that yes, media does portray a ridiculous ideal that is hard to measure up to, but there ARE people who really look like that.

I have no point that I am trying to make, just thinking about it.

1 comment:

  1. That observation clearly applies to both genders in advertising - men are held to a equal 'standard' as much as women are. I don't have a point there either, just wanted to say that that's one of the rare areas where discrimination is relatively equal.

    ReplyDelete