Sunday, June 21, 2009

How much money is enough

Is there such thing as enough money?

Do you make enough money or do you wish you made more?

I often say that I have my dream job but I wish that they paid me 4x as much. I have enough to get by, but with 4x my salary I would have enough to take some awesome vacations, to put money in savings, help others in need and pay my taxes. What more would I need?

You sometimes hear about people who take jobs that they hate out of school just to pay their bills but once they get their bills under control they are going to find a job that they really like. 

For most people this is complete and utter bullshit. 

Once they get used to living at a life at $80,000 they can't imagine going down to a life at $40,000. You get used to living a certain way. 

I have a friend who I am proud to say took a job out of law school that he sort of hated. He didn't full on hate it. There were days that he enjoyed it, but for the most part it sucked. Yet, it paid a lot of money so he kept at it. Within two or three years he paid back ALL of his law school loans. And then what did he do? He quit that job and took a clerking position (at less that half his current salary) with regular 9-5 hours that he knew he would enjoy. I applaud that. 

Could you do that? Are you happy with the money you make? Would you cut your salary in half for a job that you loved?


No comments:

Post a Comment