The game was awesome. It was at Soldier Field and we had the second highest attendance for a USA game there. Soccer is definitely gaining in popularity. Everyone was really getting into the game. There was lots of screaming and standing and clapping. But I have to admit that the Hondurans still know how to cheer a lot better than we do. I think it is sort of sad that our only cheer is "U-S-A! U-S-A!" That's all we can come up with?
I was in England back in 2000 and was talking to a boy from Scotland. The Scots are big rivals of England and he was telling me some of their more colorful cheers that they would sing at games vs. England. One of the cheers involved the names of two of their better players:
We've got Larson. We've got Fraducker. (sp?) Fuck your Queen cuz she's a hooker.
I'm not saying we need cheers quite like that, but something a little more creative than U-S-A!
We come from St. Olaf
ReplyDeleteWe wear wooly sweaters
We live on the hill to be closer to God
We don't smoke, we don't drink
But that's just what they think
We roll up in blankets and Screw-ya-ya-ya
Screw ya ya, Screw ya ya, Screw ya ya,
......