Wednesday, May 6, 2009

your lost calling?

Okay, I swear that I won't make every post this month be about tennis, but I get so pumped when I play so I need to talk about it at least a little. 

I had another lesson today. This time it was with Ollie. Or "the Australian from Wales" as we like to refer to him. He's not actually Australian at all. He's actually just from Wales. Regardless, he has a great accent. And the way I figure it, if I am going to have somebody yell at me for an hour about holding the racket wrong and hitting the ball wrong, I might as well listen to somebody with a great accent. 

Now I realize that he is getting paid to teach and encourage me, but I do think I genuinely impressed him when he made me switch my racket to my left hand and hit a bunch of balls left handed. Little did he know that I have practiced being ambidextrous for years! He commented that he thought I had missed my calling and I was meant to be a professional tennis player. 

I replied that there was still time! 

A lovely daydream. I just had a good laugh as I pictured myself trying to return Venus Williams' serve! I can't even return a thirty mile an hour serve! 

I think massage is definitely my calling, but what other callings have I not heeded? What could/ would/ should I have been?

My mom says that one of the things she regrets is that she didn't push us to do more theater when we were kids. And by "more," I mean "any." But what if she had? Nikki B, movie star extraordinaire? I can't see it. 

But Nikki B, tennis star and Wimbledon champion, has a nice ring to it. I can see that. Is it too late? Think of the field day that the media would have with the 29 year old girl who takes up tennis on a whim and becomes a champion. Then I would definitely have something to write for my college newsletter! Hmmm... the fact that nobody thinks it is possible makes me tempted to try it even more. What's the worst that can happen, I don't become a champion but still become good at tennis and get to play all the time? That doesn't sound so bad. Okay, it's official, I am going to become a ranked tennis player with in the next two years. Bring it on! 

That's my lost calling. What is your lost calling? If your life had played out differently, what were you meant to do?

1 comment:

  1. I was meant to hug animals all day. I just can't find anywhere that will pay me to do that.

    ReplyDelete