Thursday, May 28, 2009

funny

So there were three things that I found amusing this week:

1) I was in the kids' section at Borders and they had these chapter books for young readers and they had Star Wars themed books. That's pretty awesome, right? So the main character in one of the books was Yoda. Who is totally rad. So I picked it up and started reading and just had to laugh, because in the book the character talks just like Yoda always talks. Is that really what you want to be teaching to young readers!?! Think so, I do not. 

2) I get a "word of the day" email every day to try and improve my vocabulary. I always feel very special when I get a word that I already know. Today's word was "avoirdupois." I had never heard it before. 

avoirdupois \av-uhr-duh-POIZ; AV-uhr-duh-poiz\, noun:

1. Avoirdupois weight, a system of weights based on a pound containing 16 ounces or 7,000 grains (453.59 grams).
2. Weight; heaviness; as, a person of much avoirdupois.


I should have been able to figure that out because they are the French words "avoir du pois" all smooshed together which literally translates to "have some weight."


So I was watching the National Spelling Bee on tv tonight because, well, because I'm a nerd. It was the finals and one of the kids got "avoirdupois" as their word! I was so excited and totally impressed my sister with my knowledge of the word! 


3) I went to the tennis club and hit some balls in the practice lane this afternoon. All around the tennis club are these big posters from different tennis tournaments. Normal ones like Roland Garros (sp?) and also very random ones that I've never heard of. The one that was directly across from my practice lane was from Pau, France where I did my study abroad my freshman year. The picture on the poster was of the big castle in the town. I was so excited when I saw it that I had to tell the boy at the front desk (who just happened to be a cutie) that I had passed out in that castle! The only time I ever remember fainting in my life was in the middle of a huge French castle! And there it was, just staring at me at the tennis club. 

No comments:

Post a Comment