Saturday, May 16, 2009

insomnia

Do you know what's great about insomnia? Absolutely nothing! Okay, that's not entirely true. When I finally give up on trying to sleep and open up my computer, I get all sorts of things done. Like catching up on my blog reading and writing. 

I suppose that's another good thing about being single- I can sit in bed with my computer on at 2 AM and not bother anyone. And I can just blabber on and on about any ol' topic I want and then blame my incoherent writing on insomnia. 

So let's talk about motorcycles. And how I absolutely love motorcycles. Lately we've been having some days that are absolutely perfect for riding. I want nothing more than to hit the road with a big beefy boyfriend. For some reason, maybe because the stereotypical biker is big and beefy, I feel safer with a big guy behind the wheel, rather than some skinny guy. 

I realize that I could drive one myself, but I hate to drive. And honestly, there are very few people that I would trust to drive me around on a motorcycle. The whole idea of motorcycles terrifies me. In fact, riding on a motorcycle was one of those things that I never thought I would do. 

The first time I was ever on one was a few years back. I was on a blind date. The only blind date I've ever been on actually (screw your roommate doesn't count!) I had had a few drinks and my date offered me a ride. In my skirt and cute little dressy sandals. And I said yes. And I was hooked! 

You know how on a warm day you will roll the windows down in your car and stick your hand out and let it glide on the wind? I feel like motorcycle riding is sort of like that but with your whole body. 

I miss it! 

Motorcycle riding and scuba diving. Two of the things that sounded cool but I never thought I'd do because they terrified me. And still do terrify me. Yet, they were two of the most awesome experiences of my life. 

A friend had asked me what I would do if I only had a month to live. Some of the things on that list were things like more motorcycle riding, sky diving, scuba diving with sharks. He asked why I would have to wait until I only had a month to live to be willing to do that stuff. A good question. But it's the whole risk factor. I don't want to spend the rest of my life as a vegetable because I got in a stupid motorcycle accident. But if the rest of my life was only going to be one month, that's worth the risk. 

Have you ever done anything that terrified you that turned out to be awesome?

No comments:

Post a Comment