Tuesday, May 12, 2009

is it just me?

Is anybody else intimidated when they go into Home Depot or is it just me? Everyone just seems so knowledgeable and handy. Lots of burly men in their paint splattered Carrharts who look at me like I don't really belong. And to be fair... I don't. Though I'm not completely worthless around the house. I can paint a room and put together all my furniture from Ikea by myself. 

The only thing that made me feel slightly better was when I asked the worker where the grout was, and he didn't know what grout was. Of course, my first thought was that I was saying it wrong or had just made up some unknown word. Nope, the second worker steered me right to it. I, of course, got overwhelmed and decided to wait till my brother could help me before I tackled the project of regrouting my shower floor. 

The main reason that I went to Home Depot today was simply to get some flowers for the boxes on my balcony. Simple task, right? It was so daunting. First of all, there were crazy amounts of people. Normally having my day off on a Tuesday rocks because there are no lines when I go places. But I didn't think about the fact that gardening is a popular hobby with old retired people who also have nothing better to do than go to Home Depot at 10 AM on a Tuesday morning! Second of all, everyone around me was talking so knowledgeably. All I know is that I want full sunlight plants that are pretty. Is that too much to ask? It seriously stressed me out. 

Am I the only one? What stupid thing or place intimidates you?


1 comment:

  1. The post office. I know it's stupid, but I get stressed when I have to go there. So many options, so many prices that aren't even - makes my head hurt. And everyone is in a hurry because no one goes to the post office to just wander around or kill time.

    ReplyDelete