Wednesday, October 27, 2010

height

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm too tall.

I always thought that at 5'8" tall that I was a pretty good height. I can reach things on the top of shelves. But I have no problem finding clothes that fit. The best of both worlds.

Whenever I play volleyball I wish for a few more inches. Though really what I need is to develop a vertical jump and then the height thing wouldn't matter.

But when I'm dating, I sort of wish I was a little bit shorter. Why? Because a lot of guys are right around my height. That should be perfect, right? Our lips would be at the exact same level- making for easy and ideal kissing, right? No more crick in the neck as I have to bend my neck back to kiss those tall guys.

But it's not actually ideal. Height matters. It shouldn't. But it does. We are taught that men are our big strong protectors. But when the woman is the same size as the man, or worse yet, bigger, it changes things. Men feel emasculated. Women feel less sexy.

Is that something that people can get over? Or does it permanently mess up the dynamics in a relationship and cause problems? Does size matter?

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about this. I can understand the dilemma, the feeling of the dilemma but I don't want it to stop you! Or rather, I wish it weren't a dilemma, or an issue. You know? One of my all time favorite boys is not very tall, and when it comes to Who He Is, height doesn't come into play, but I can see how a girl towering over him might not make him feel like a man, or feel like she's the protected princess. That's just a bummer!

    ReplyDelete