You can do buffet style and let people choose their own tables. But then you get that poor couple who doesn't know anyone who is wandering around with their plate of food looking like the new kid in the school cafeteria.
Or you can do assigned seating but then you have to worry about all sorts of things... are Grandpa so-and-so and cousin so-and-so near each other? Because they've been feuding since last fall. Crap like that.
And once you separate the feuders, you have to think about the flow of the party and who will mingle well with whom.
At the last wedding I went to, I got stuck sitting between my four-year old niece and my eight-year old nephew. And you know what? That wasn't fun for me.
So instead of having a good time with witty conversation, I got to babysit. Thumbs down.
Thankfully I had my new camera with me to entertain my not-at-all-camera-shy niece Charlotte.
Jamie talks about having to do this for all the uppity up people when they have events and such. It's funny to have to babysit adults so they can all get along and we can (in that instance) make sure the money keeps coming in.
ReplyDeleteI'm the unconventional one, as usual. I think weddings and all the planning that go into them are a waste. It's SO MUCH energy (and money!)to organize the thing, and it's for a couple of hours of a good time, and then it's over. But like I said, I'm not normal, and I've been married for 14 years. I don't remember any of the planning, I remember crying that it was over, and that all that work was to provide an experience for everyone else. I loved that day and it was over way too fast. You know?! If I had to do it all over again...oh, that's a fun game. I think I'll think about that and blog it. Of course, it won't be "real" since I'm 14 years into a marriage and my wants are different now than they were then. :)
Love,
Boring, unconventional, unpopular opinioned
ME! hehe
I was gonna write "welcome to my work-world" but Nicki beat me to the punch. Yes, it's crazy. And it's crazy when there is money involved as well. I look at it like we're just trying to provide the best experience for them, and we should do our best to have them seated with people who will be engaging and not rile them up!
ReplyDelete