Wednesday, April 29, 2009

our song

Do you and your significant other have a song? What about you and your friends? 

There are certain songs that obviously bring you back to a certain time in your life, but there are also certain songs that remind me of certain people. 

The song Lodi Dodi by Snoop Dogg came on my ipod yesterday and it reminded me of my best friend. Now that song could have reminded me of college in general but it very specifically reminded me of my best friend, to the point where I found it hard to think about anybody else while it was playing. All I could picture was singing along with it in the dorm rooms next to her huge ass stereo. 

There are some songs that are pretty obviously chosen because that person and I shared a special memory or moment when that song was playing or related to that song. Some of them just randomly remind me of people and they would probably be surprised to hear that in my mind that is "their song."

Lady in Red by UB40- Matt White 
(Because I was wearing a red shirt at a valentine's day dance and he danced with me to this song.)

Bizarre Love Triangle- Alex M. 
(We were dating my freshman year of high school when it got really popular so it was often on when we talked on the phone.)

Walking in the Sun by Chaka Chan- Brian Y. 
(He played it for me and told me it made him think of me.)

Any song by the Violent Femmes- Katie Cerullo
(Because she first introduced me to them our freshman year.)

Wonderwall- Emily D 
(We made a music video to it!)

Da Dip- Matty Mac 
(We were out with his friends one night and I mentioned to them that Matt did a little dance to that song and he was so embarrassed and mad at me for outing him!) 

Forever by Ben Harper- Travis 
(He used to play it for me on his guitar.)

The Sign by Ace of Base- Dave H. 
(We had a running joke about it.)

anything by Madonna- Luke B.
(He was a DJ at parties in college and played it a lot. People would also take their shirts off at midnight when he played a certain song. What song was it?)

Jump Around- Pat McG

Beast of Burden by The Rolling Stones- Jamie "Red Car"
(We used to listen to it while getting on. He had it on a tape and would stop and rewind it again and again.)

anything by Aerosmith- Margaret Pol 
(She used to have a handmade sign hanging on her wall about how great Aerosmith was in high school.)

Tan Shoes and Pink Shoelaces- Jalin C.
(We lip synced to it for the talent show.)

Stand by R.E.M.- Leah P.
(She was obsessed with REM)

I can't help falling in love with you by Elvis- Chuck V.
(I don't know if this is the song that he did actually sing to Jamie the night of their rehearsal dinner but in my mind it is.)

the song that goes "I still remember, when we used to be 9 years old. I was a fool for you, from the bottom of my soul..." - Rory D.
(because when I WAS 9 years old I had a huge crush on him. And would watch him ride his bike up and down our block.)

Shout- my sister Critter
(We danced to it at her wedding and had a great time.)

Come on Eileen- Tammy (the bball coach)
(Because she hated that it was on all the mixes.)

the album "Street Corner Singing"- my dad
(It was the very first CD we ever bought and had a bunch of great oldies on it. I would put it on and sing and dance around. One time my dad was lying in bed reading and I kept walking past his doorway doing funny dance moves and faces until he FINALLY noticed me and started cracking up.)

Those are just the first ones that came into my head. There are lots more. What is your song? What song do you think of when you think of me?




2 comments:

  1. 1) The Luke B Madonna song was "Like a Prayer" - at least at Gimme Some Luvin.
    2) "Gimme Some Luvin'" by Spencer Davis Group is one of my all time favorite feel good songs and it makes me think of the eponymous parties we hosted every term in college. The song makes me think of those, but also when I am listening to it I think of how I am going to use it in my next video montage.
    3) Come on Eileen makes me think of college parties - not one in particular but all of them: that was the universal Carleton party song. As a result, it tends to drive me nuts, since I can never identify the rhythm to dance to it (I'm white) and so the song is just an awkward pause in the evening until they play a song I can tear it up to.
    4) Rhythm of the Saints, by Paul Simon - my sister forced me to listen to this song, every day, for my freshman year in high school on the way to school. Amazingly, I still enjoy the song, just not in a car.
    5) You look wonderful tonight, Eric clapton: ibidem.
    6)I want to f$$k you like an animal, Nine inch Nails - it's my wife's favorite wakeboarding songs and hearing it forces her to try crazy stunts. Hearing the song makes me think of her and doing the stunts.
    7) Adagio, Samuel Barber - among the saddest classical pieces I know of (it's on your mix I'm making you, disc 4 or so), and hearing it makes me think of funerals of relatives or friends that I've gone to.

    That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there are more. Great topic by the way, Nikki.

    For what it's worth, since you mentioned 'first CD we ever bought' - mine was Sting's Soul Cages, followed by Phil Collins' Face Value. And for you trivia readers, the first CD ever released in the US was Billy Joe's "52nd Street."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one! ("Lodi Dodi, we likes to party, we don't cause trouble, we don't bother nobody..." - ALWAYS makes me think of you!)

    I have a ton of these.

    1) Ditto for the Elvis song with Chuck.
    2) Any 2Pac song - My cousin Beth (she had a tape of his in her car when I was borrowing it and I loved it.)
    3) "Like a Prayer" - all the Carleton parties
    4) "Closer to Fine" by the Indigo Girls - Emily Jentes
    5) Chumbawumba (spelling?) - Freshman year basketball team
    6) "Two Step" by Dave Matthews - Lisa Hedden
    7) Any Bon Jovi song - my cousins
    8) "The Gambler" - Carleton basketball team
    9) Any Biggie song - 3rd Davis Quint our freshman year
    10) "It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas" - my mom (she used to sing this during the first snow fall every year)

    ReplyDelete