Hmmm... that has got me thinking- what subjects would I be uncomfortable talking about? I'd like to keep this web site fairly clean so I think I will steer clear of sex talk. I try not to talk about stupid things like boy drama. I suppose I could be slightly more personal in my blogging, tell you more intimate details about my life but I worry about going to the other extreme and sharing just too much information. Where do I draw the line?
I don't want to share too many personal issues/problems, but perhaps I could share more personal stories.
I could share with you the story of my first kiss. Do you remember your first kiss? It happened in sixth grade. Valentine's Day actually. February 14th, 1991. People often say that you couldn't pay them to go back to high school. High school, I'd be okay with. But I would never want to go back to sixth grade for all the money in the world. The most awkward stage of my puberty. Granted, it was the early 90s so everyone and everything was pretty ugly (and neon) but I swear I could have won the fugliness award. My bangs had a life of their own. My glasses were like the bottoms of two coke bottles, nestled inside large plastic frames. My clothes was thankfully not an issue since we wore uniforms. But it was the start of the acne that still plagues me to this day. One of my most mortifying moments came in science class. I (unknowingly) had a zit on my face that erupted and a boy that I had a crush on said, "Dude! Your face is bleeding!" I rushed down to the bathroom in tears.
Did I mention that I weighed 175 pounds?!
Dear Lord, THANK YOU for letting me survive that and grow up!
On a side note, if people ever compliment me now, it still takes me by surprise because part of me still sees myself as that ugly and awkward little girl.
But back to my story... Valentine's Day at my small Catholic grade school was a pretty big deal. We got to dress up. People who never had to wear uniforms to school probably don't understand how exciting it is to wear normal clothes to school. The closest thing I could compare it to is when some companies let you wear jeans to work on casual Fridays. Woohoo!
We had normal classes in the morning but in the afternoon the upper grades (5-8) got to go into the gym for a dance. A few streamers, a couple balloons, a poster and a mix tape- you know, the works!
It would always start out as the cliched grade school dance. The boys on one side of the gym and the girls on the other. But then some of the "couples" would start dancing and eventually everyone worked up the nerve to get on the dance floor. There are some songs, like Without You by Motley Cru, that always take me right back to those dances.
I have to say that one of the benefits of going to a small, horrible Catholic school (parents, you should NEVER send your child to one!) is that because we were so small (18 kids in my grade) and had known each other forever, I was never ostracized. People danced with me at the dances and I hung out with friends after school.
After the dance was over a group of us went over to David H.'s house. We went down into the family room in his basement (I remember there being a lot of blue plaid) and Amy (who was soooo much more advanced than we were) suggested we play Spin the Bottle. I was so nervous. And while David and I flirted some, I knew full well that Rory and Ben were hoping that they didn't have to kiss me. I can't say as that I really blame them either! We busted out a coke bottle and positioned ourselves in a circle. David's turn came up and he landed right on me. We leaned in and gave each other a closed lip peck on the mouth that lasted approximately one second.
So totally uneventful, and yet I still remember it to this very day.
No comments:
Post a Comment