Friday, April 3, 2009

newfound respect for strippers

Wow. All I can say is wow. I have never been to a strip joint. But I have seen footage here and there of strippers in action. And I never really was impressed by what they do but now I have to give them props.

I went to my first (and possibly last) pole dancing class tonight. The "gym" that offers the class is women only and in addition to having pole dancing classes they also have classes by the names of "basic boxing for babes", "chair striptease", "hip hop booty camp" and "salsalicious" to name a few. I expected (as an independent and educated woman) to be offended when I walked in. Instead I found it surprisingly welcoming and empowering. 

I think (though I have no actual evidence) that all women want to be able to pole dance. Not on stage for a group. But we want to feel sexy. We want to turn on our significant other. 

So why don't more women pole dance? Um, because it's pole dancing. A) we don't want to be seen as whores. And B) we don't want to be seen as whores. The way I would describe this all women gym would probably be "Curves for sluts." This really isn't an accurate description of the place at all. Most of the women in the place were your average work-a-day women who just wanted to try something fun and new- and who were getting a great workout in the process.

And let me tell you something... pole dancing is f'ing hard! I wanted to kick the instructor (all 100 pounds of her!) in the head. She made it seem so effortless. Floating around that pole like a butterfly. I did not float like a butterfly. I more or less mauled the pole like a drunken frat boy. 

For those of you who really know me, you know that I am athletic. I have been playing sports all of my life. But I am not particularly graceful. Okay, so "huge klutz" might be a more fitting description. And while I am good at a skill after I learn it, I don't pick up on things right away. It takes a few times. Case in point, I once joined a step aerobics class that had a bunch of regulars in it. The class went pretty fast and I had never done the routine before. I got the basic gist of it but messed up a time or two. I did okay... or so I thought. After class a mentally handicapped kid in the class came up to me and told me that he could give me some pointers if I wanted. Ouch! 

But back to the pole dancing... it is possible that after several more classes I might finally get the basics down. I might be able to spin around the pole without banging my knee or falling on my ass. Maybe. I believe that could actually happen. But to do it and actually look sexy? 

I am at a loss for words to describe how utterly not sexy I felt tonight. It didn't help that there was an advanced student on the pole behind me that was climbing the pole up to the ceiling and then doing the splits around the pole as she slid her way down. Nor did it help that when we do our "sexy front bend" I look like I am having back spasms. 

Am I glad I did it? Definitely. I tried something new that I had never done. I went outside my comfort zone. I used muscles that I had not used in a long time (possibly never.) 

But I will admit that this week has been a bit of a rough one for me. I took on two new things that I suck at.  Not the most ego-boosting week ever. I want to do something that I am really good at to make myself feel better- my sister's suggestion? Eating. Thanks, Sam. 

Will I try pole dancing again? I'm not sure. It's a possibility but there are other things that I want to try first.  I do have another tennis lesson next week though. And the best part? I don't have to try to look sexy while doing it! 

3 comments:

  1. I must take objection with your claims against pole dancing A) we don't want to be seen as whores. And B) we don't want to be seen as whores. If you define a whore as someone who does something they normally wouldn't, but do it for the money, then most of the working class are whores. If you define one as someone who objectifies their body for money, than all manual laborers are whores.

    Speaking as a male, I really don't like going to strip clubs, although I've attended my share. Regardless of how good a dancer any of the strippers are, all have a glaze over their eyes of apathy and seem as though their life at that moment has no meaning - which I hate perpetuating with financial contributions. That said, the most compensated strippers (Vegas) earn $8k a night, and most on average (big cities) earn between $300-500/night. If many of us are already doing jobs solely for the money, it's difficult to argue against doing something around a pole for gobs of more dough.

    Lastly, the conventional wisdom of most strip club attendees is that while the dancers will smile at us and pay attention to us, this is solely for the purpose of getting more of our wallet, but it certainly doesn't mean we're getting nookie in return. In fact, I've never known a guy where it did pan out for them...so again, the idea that strippers are whores is a mislabeled stereotype put forth generally by women in the first place.

    Cool that it was such a great workout though. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously?!? "If you define one (a whore) as someone who objectifies their body for money, then all manual laborers are whores." I think you are just looking to stir up trouble, as you are wont to do. As a manual laborer myself, I would like to point out that manual laborers don't get money for their bodies. They get money for the work that their bodies do.

    And I don't define a whore as someone who does something that they normally wouldn't do but does it for the money. I define a whore as someone who has sex for money.

    And I didn't say that I think pole dancers are whores. I don't. I said that we don't want to be seen as whores. Because you know what? People judge. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, okay Ms. B - I'm not looking to ruffle feathers! For the record, I am a manual laborer myself and consider what I do whorish from time to time (meaning I disagree with your definition and use a different one).

    The point that women don't want to be seen as whores is noteworthy, and noble for sure. I wonder if scantily clad teen girls doing lambada-esque moves at a dance club have similar concerns? Add it to my list of fears for having daughters.

    (N.B., I really wasn't looking to stir up trouble, but one of the best parts of a blog is the debates that take place in the comments sections!)

    ReplyDelete