Tuesday, April 14, 2009

internet dating

We all know people who have found their significant other via an online dating website. The sites really work. Yet, there is still a bit of a stigma to them that only desperate losers go on them. Totally not true. I know many friends who have done or are currently doing online dating. So the question I am asking myself is do I want to do it?

I was taking a look at match.com today to see what was out there. They let you search profiles for free. You just have to pay if you want to contact someone. The catch is that you have to create a profile to be able to search. And you have to write at least 200 characters about yourself and what you are looking for. They won't let you leave it blank. They obviously know what they are doing with this because otherwise everyone would leave it blank!

You can also add profiles of guys that you like to "your favorites" list so that you can find them again easily. I did this to a few profiles that I liked, not realizing that when you do that it sends a notice to the person telling them that you added them to your favorites list! Doh! 

So the question that I was dealing with today is what on earth do you write about yourself in a personal ad? Should you be completely honest? Do I admit that I wear jeans and t-shirts pretty much every single day so that I can find a guy who is down with that? Or do I omit it for fear of scaring off a guy that would potentially be a great match and who probably wouldn't care about that once he got to know me? Do you totally talk yourself up? Or should you be more realistic? Do you write the basic (a.k.a. boring) profile or do you try and make yourself stand out? 

I decided to start off my profile with the sentence "I like to skydive naked." I figured if nothing else it would grab their attention. 

So as I am doing this... just minding my own business... I received an email. But they won't let you see the email unless you sign up. They won't even let you see who it is from. What can I say, curiosity got the better of me so I signed up for a one month subscription. The email was from one of the guys that I had put in my favorites list. Now I have to decide what to do. Do I write him back? Do I ignore it? Do I write him back and explain to him that he seems really nice but I don't really want to date right now (even though I am searching on match.com but it is just for my own amusement)?

It's an interesting idea to date someone based on a list of facts (hair and eye color, smoking and drinking habits, etc) and what they write about themselves.  I don't know that I would have dated any of my ex boyfriends based on their profiles. Then again, I'm no longer with any of those boys so maybe there is some merit to it. 

4 comments:

  1. Of course you write back!!! And then tell us all the details on Saturday when we go dancing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you should write back. I mean, you've already paid for a one month membership, you may as well get to see what happens with it!

    I might leave out the whole "I live in jeans and t-shirts" and finesse it with more of a "I like to be comfortable." I mean, I've seen you dressed up when you want to dress up! But I don't know how I'd describe myself in 200 words or less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did write back and explain how I am a jackass who isn't really looking to date. He said that was cool and we didn't need to jump into dating and we could get to know each other as friends. Seemed pretty nice, actually. It just boggles my mind how many single people there are out there who are looking for a significant other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you tell him that you have enough friends? ha. that's what dave says he would've told me if I told him I didn't want to try out being boyfriend-girlfriend and wanted to be friends instead.

    ReplyDelete