I hate this. I enjoy reading the newsletter and so feel that I should contribute as well. But what on earth should I write? Usually the updates talk about people getting married, having babies, getting advanced degrees or publishing a book. I have done none of those things.
What have I done that is newsworthy?
Do I lie? My sister ran into an old friend of hers after reading their newsletter and said, "Wow, I can't believe you were in the Peace Corp in Africa. And are now working on a cure for cancer. That's amazing!" His response, "I can't believe that you actually bought that!"
Sure, I'd like to be married and have children. But is it a good idea to get married and have children with someone who wasn't right for me just so that I can be married with children? Just so I can say that I accomplished something? I don't think so.
Should I go back to school and get an advanced degree that I don't care about and spend lots of money to do so, just to impress people? I don't think so.
Do I write that I am learning and growing and am happy with my life and I don't need you people to judge me, thank you very much! Well, no, I don't write that either.
I do love my life, so why is that not enough? Do I need to impress people? Or is it simply that I feel that I am capable of so much more than I am doing? I do feel like I am coasting a bit. I could definitely be doing more.
I suppose that is what this whole "year with Nikki" project is all about. Getting my ass in gear and doing more, accomplishing more so that five years from now I will have lots to write about.
But you know what, being able to say "I love my life" is no small thing. And so if the most that I can say five years from now is "I still love my life," then I'll take it. Because all the accomplishments in the world won't necessarily make you happy or make you love your life.
That's all well and good but I still don't know what I should write. Any suggestions?
As someone who has to compile the notes section for her class, I would say that you should write something about happily living and working in Chicago (or OP). Do your peeps know you're a massage therapist? That's interesting news if they don't know. You could mention your blog (but sometimes I don't include stuff like that when I put everything together) or that you were planning a trip to France this summer but decided instead on a "staycation" and will be wearing a beret all of June.
ReplyDeleteI like to include info on someone else in my updates (it's nice to have a partner in crime) so you could say you always enjoy visiting your BF (cuz she went to college with you right?) and wish you could travel to MN more often to see her. Or include news on someone from school you recently visited/saw.
Or screw that and say that you recently bought a bedazzler off of ebay and have launched a new career. Tell them to check stores near them as bedazzled jean jackets are coming back in style!
I love Katie Gregory and I don't even know you.
ReplyDeleteI (think) I'm the BF from Minnesota. Or else this just got really awkward.
ANYWAY...
Just a little note to say that I think writing about loving life is very important and very impressive. My hunch is that some of the people who write about all of those things they accomplished or received or whatever are not all that happy with their life. Not all of them (don't everyone hate me) but some of them are trying to fill voids. Just my two cents. Love you!