Sunday, April 19, 2009

cab drivers


Have you ever noticed how the right or wrong cab driver can make all the difference in your night? As someone who is fairly shy and introverted, I don't tend to talk to my cabbies that much. Unless I am drunk. And then apparently, I become best friends with my cab driver. 

On a side note, some people really do become "best friends" with their cabbies. I have two friends who ended up dating their cab drivers. The first girl was wasted and was having a horrible night and got into the front seat of the cab. I realize that people sit in the front seat of cabs all the time- when they are in a group of four! She was by herself. Anyways, they started talking and hit it off. Turns out she was looking for an apartment and ended up moving in with him a week later. Did I mention she was crazy? She ended up moving back to Boston a few months later. 

The other friend was sober and just hit it off with the guy. They exchanged numbers and went on a date later that week. That was a few years ago. Now they are married.

My cab driver last night was from Tunisia in Africa where he played soccer. Well, duh? Doesn't everyone there play soccer? He actually did it as his job. He was a midfielder. He moved here seven years ago and lives with his cousin. His dad, back in Africa, is an interior designer. And he told me all of this in French. 

Which makes me wonder if his dad was really an interior decorator. Or if I just completely heard that wrong. Does it matter? I got home safely, I got to practice my French and he told me that I was his favorite customer of the night! 

It has to be such a weird job being a cab driver. I'm sure it can be really interesting at times. But can you imagine having to cart around drunk people all night? And not adorable, French speaking drunk girls like myself, but smelly frat boys who might puke at any second kind of drunks. 

My favorite experience with a cab driver was when I was coming home from Emily's birthday party last year. Again, I had a few drinks in me and was much more talkative than normal. My cab driver that night was a lover of classical music. 

Cabbie: Do you like classical music?
Drunken Nikki: Oh my god! Yes! I looooove classical music. (not my first choice of music, but I do like it so why not humor the guy)
Cabbie: Oh! oh! Let me play you a song! (and then shuffles through the thirty or so CDs that are sitting on the passanger seat)
Drunken Nikki: (um, please watch the road, this is why I am taking a cab and not driving myself, please watch the road, oh god we are going to die)
Cabbie: Aha! I found it! Do you like Braham (sp?) ?
Drunken Nikki: Of course!  (in my head, "who?")
Cabbie: Well, you've probably heard Braham's lullaby but I bet you've never heard him like this before! (cranked up the volume)
Drunken Nikki: (eyes closed, swaying to the music, huge smile on my face) 
Cabbie: Do you like it?
Drunken Nikki: Oh yeah! This is awesome.
Cabbie: Oh, let me play you another...

And then since I had my camera on my lap and the guy was cracking me up, I asked him if I could take his picture. Which made him extremely happy.  We chitchat a little more and he plays me a few more songs. So we finally pull up in front of my apartment...

Cabbie: You have been such a wonderful rider. Can I play you a song?
Drunken Nikki: Sure, that would be great! (thinking that he is going to put another CD on)
Cabbie: (reaches under his seat and pulls out a two foot long wooden flute!!! and starts playing some elfin fairy music)
Drunken Nikki: (applauding vigorously) Oh my god! That was so good. You are amazing! Can I get another picture? (thinking that nobody would believe this story if I didn't have proof!)


I enjoy these little drunken run-ins very much. Makes me think I should try talking to my cabbies more often. Of course, it also depends on the cabbie. I had one who actually said to me, "Tell me something interesting..." It is not my job to entertain him! Talk about pressure! 

What's the weirdest or best cab experience that you have ever had? Have you ever befriended your cabbie? 

No comments:

Post a Comment