I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. What a weird expression. I tried to find out where that idiom came from and here is what I found-
"The wrong side of the bed is the one that leaves you grumpy and unsociable first thing in the morning (my own has two wrong sides). There are many similar expressions that begin the wrong side of ..., of which the original seems to be wrong side of the blanket for a child born illegitimately. Some others are getting on the wrong side of somebody, the wrong side of the law, laughing on the wrong side of one’s mouth, and on the wrong side of forty (or thirty, or fifty, or almost any age, really).
All express the idea that there are good and bad aspects of any situation. A well-known American example, the wrong side of the tracks, is the only one of the set that seems to be based in a real, physical location.
Some writers say there was once a superstition that to get out of bed on the left side, the sinister side, led to bad luck, but this sounds like a well-meaning attempt to explain the mysterious. If there ever was such a belief, it’s not reflected in the recorded use of the expression, which is actually not that old; it seems to have been derived from another phrase of similar type."I wonder if maybe the expression started because, like me, people found themselves cranky from the moment that they woke up and decided that they needed something to blame it on. Today has all the makings of a good day, so why on earth should I be cranky? And yet trying to rationally convince myself that I shouldn't be cranky is like trying to talk sense to a two year old in the midst of a temper tantrum. Sometimes you've just got to ride it out.
The most successful method that I have found for pulling myself out of a funk is to think about all the things I am thankful for. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's a good thing to do nonetheless.
Things that I am thankful for...
*nobody broke in and killed me in my sleep last night (though the door slamming shut in the middle of the night due to the wind did give me quite a scare)
* I came "so" close to beating June on wordtwist yesterday- but I didn't which still gives me something to strive for- it's good to have goals
* I have a tennis lesson today
* I got up early enough that I could do my laundry so I would actually have some clean clothes today
* I have PMS which means I am not pregnant and as an added bonus have much bigger boobs than normal today
* my sister and I are on a quest to find the house that we saw in Chicago magazine, we know it is in our town somewhere and so we have been walking down different streets trying to find it. Quests are fun.
* I had pizza from Homemade Pizza this weekend and it was unbelievably delicious
* my room is a very comfortable temperature
* I had two of my favorite clients for back to back 90 minute massages yesterday
* they both made me laugh really hard
* they were both really good tippers
* I got to work early yesterday so I was studying the anatomy books to see which muscles attached onto the ASIS and was reminded of the importance of the pectinius (sp?) muscle (which does NOT attach onto the ASIS) and so I actually worked my client's pectinius muscle (which I never do, due to its location and it is often tender) and she found it to be very helpful. Always good to switch things up!
* The anatomy book had a fun fact about how some old Greek philosopher guy named the end of our tailbone the "coccyx" because he thought it looked like a cuckoo's beak. Some guy in France in the 18th century mistakenly thought it was called the coccyx because he thought the sound of gas passing through the anus sounded like the cuckoo's call.
* I get to take a hula hoop class tonight
* I learned that there was a showgirl who worked at the world famous Tropicana nightclub in Havana, Cuba and she was gorgeous and very popular and had a flower named after her in Brazil.
* I heard back from my old boss the other day
* I was on the el the other day just minding my own business and some guy on the platform tapped on the window next to me, I looked up and he blew me a kiss
* I ripped the crotch of my jeans which gives me a legitimate excuse to go shopping for some new clothes today
* I'm healthy
* I love my friends
* my niece had a really kickass birthday party this weekend
* I can remember my dreams
* it is warm enough that I can be barefoot. I love being barefoot but usually freeze to death when I am!
Hmm.... I have to admit, that kind of worked. Or maybe the Midol has finally kicked in. Either way I am feeling better. What are you thankful for today?
No comments:
Post a Comment