I read somewhere that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
This doesn't bode well for me.
Because I will read an article online and then I will continue to read the reader comments underneath it. Even though I KNOW that reading those comments makes me upset every time. So why do I do it?
And my question is this- are those reader comments an actual representation of the general population? (please say "no", please say "no!") Or do only racist, homophobic, narrow-minded jerks write comments after those articles?
To give you an example, this morning I read an article about how eight people died at an off-road racing event in California when a truck went off the road after a jump and struck some bystanders. What would you expect to see in the comment section? Would you expect someone to write, "Eight less rednecks. Guess the sales of pork rinds are going to go down in that area."???
Are our hearts and minds so fully saturated, are we immune to violence and tragedy? I refuse to believe that. I also refuse to read any more reader comments!
Sunday, August 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is actually a relatively well-known phenomenon...I even watched a 60 Minutes special on it (people who write things after obituaries, or call people who just lost someone just to antagonize, etc) followed by the psychology of why someone would get off on something deliberately cruel. And I can't think of the term for those people, darn it!
ReplyDeleteI got it, I got it- A$$HOLES!! Do I win????
ReplyDeleteI don't think I'm one of "those" people- in general I avoid the news and that garbage just to avoid the extra negativity, but I DID hear about the tragedy. The loss of life is horrible and sad. I have to admit that I did let a "Who the f stands that close to a RACE TRACK?" fly though.
Okay, now be honest. Did you read our replies? :D