I want to wear high heels. I do.
As my friend quoted to me the other night, "Flats are for quitters."
I can give you all sorts of reasons why I don't wear high heels. They are uncomfortable for my wider feet, there is a much greater chance that I will re-sprain an ankle in them, they are bad for your body alignment (but keep wearing them girls because they are great for my business!), I have to walk a couple of miles daily to get to and from work, and I have to go through some seedy areas where I want to be able to protect myself by being able to either run or fight someone at a moment's notice. I just feel safer in flat shoes.
That being said, I wish I was one of those cute girls wearing high heels. I'm always amazed when I see people wear high heels. Even more amazed if their faces aren't contorted into a rictus of pain.
I often wonder how people can do it. And for some of the people I know their trick... they don't walk in them. They walk to their car/taxi, get in, and arrive right at their destination. Even I could do that in heels. My friend and I had to park two measly blocks away from our destination the other day and she was complaining because her shoes were uncomfortable to walk in. How does she get around all day?
But other people DO walk in them. I was at a concert on Monday night when my friends and I saw a girl in three-inch heels. And not just heels, but stilettos. My friends and I all looked at each other and started laughing saying "She's gonna regret that by the end of the night!"
But by the end of the night, she was still going strong, laughing and smiling and dancing up a storm. I would have been hobbled, sprawled in a corner applying neosporin to my blisters. More power to her! Of course, she did have the benefit of being completely wasted. I'd like to see how her feet and body were doing the next morning! Then again, I've heard that some people's feet were just designed to wear heels (like Carrie Bradshaw!) which makes sense because there are some people whose feet are designed to never wear heels (like me!)
Friday, August 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm with you! But I'm all flatfooted and stuff. I think it's pathetic, what women do to their feet ---mens toes aren't all bent and hammertoed from being smooched into unnaturally shaped shoes. And that's not to mention everything you did about alignment, throwing off our center of gravity etc. It's horrible!!! I know the girls you're talking about...sometimes I wish I was a slim, trim, thing with petite feet and enough grace to be able to carry on like nothing when wearing 3 inch heels. I just so am not. But my feet are happier. :)
ReplyDeleteI've found some heels that aren't that high, and are wider so you don't fall over. They are fine. I do like how my legs look in heels, but I wear flats probably half the time in the summer. The other sucky thing about heels is that tall women (like me) look gargantuan in them!
ReplyDelete