Tuesday, September 29, 2009

the clutz

When I was growing up one of my favorite books was Megan The Klutz. It was about a girl who was extremely clumsy but who still managed to win a beauty pageant. I don't remember what the beauty pageant had to do with anything but still the book really resonated with me because I am extremely clumsy.

Seriously.

It's embarrassing. In college my best friend would count the number of times that I fell during a soccer game. Not the number of times that I collided with another player. No, I would be all by myself and would just fall over.

It's sort of the story of my life. When I was little we ate dinner together as a family every night, or practically every night. One of my chores was to set the table. I would start by putting out the place mats. My older sister Sam wanted to know why we had to use place mats and couldn't have a tablecloth like her best friend's family used. My parents had to explain to her that it was easier to wash place mats and that I spilled too much stuff to use a tablecloth. My family actually cheered me when I made it through an entire meal without spilling something. This wasn't until I was about nine years old.

Today I sliced my thumb open while doing dishes when a steak knife slipped. Yeah. Can you say ouch?!? I immediately started sucking my thumb- a) to stop the bleeding and b) to stop myself from screaming.

Then I remembered hearing that you have more bacteria in your mouth than any other place in your body so was sucking my open wound really a good idea?? I decided that I didn't care. Plus, sucking my thumb felt really nice. I understand why little kids do it.

Thankfully my boss was able to rearrange the schedule so that I don't have to come in to work today. I use my thumb a lot during massages, plus I didn't want to bleed on clients (that is frowned upon) nor did I want to get oil in my open wound.

What I've realized is that I really use my right thumb for pretty much everything that I do. Thankfully you don't really need it for typing though!

The cut doesn't look like much so when my boss sees it on Thursday she will think I am full of it but it was super scary when it happened. My hands are my livelihood- I can't afford to have something happen to them. I can't afford to be a clutz. So I think I have to options- either stop being a clutz or just stop washing the dishes!

3 comments:

  1. I loved Megan the Klutz! I think there was at least one other book in the series--I definitely read it!

    Sorry to hear about the thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be The Klutz Strikes Again, that you are referring to. I still own them if you want to borrow them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coupla things:
    1) yikes on the thumb - be careful Ms. B!
    2) there are more varieties of bacteria in your mouth than anywhere else in your body (skin is considered outside, otherwise it'd give your mouth a run for its money). However, in terms of sheer number of particular types of bacteria? Colon baby, colon. I'd be more concerned if you stuck your thumb in the latter when it got cut - mouth should be okay.
    2) Glad you've noticed the importance of your thumb and how often it gets used. Right in the fleshy part of your thumb, right where it meets the rest of your hand (and says "hello hand, I am thumb. Do you mind if we hang out for a little bit, would that bother you considerably?") is the little nerve that allows your thumb to move inward and touch the rest of your fingers (be opposed, needed to grasp). If you punctured that, your thumb would be entirely worthless. So be extra careful next time your dive your valuable hands into that murky dish water.

    ReplyDelete