Tuesday, September 15, 2009

oh no you didn't!

I don't typically comment on current events in my blog but I had a few thoughts to share on the whole Kanye West/ Taylor Swift fiasco.

For those of you who live under a rock, what happened was that during MTV's video music awards Taylor Swift, a sweet 19 year old country singer won for having the best female video. She got up to give her acceptance speech only to have Kanye West rush the stage, grab the microphone and go on about how Beyonce (one of the other nominees in that category) really had the best video.

What Kanye did was inexcusable, we don't need to talk about that, we all agree on that.

What I was thinking though is that this is probably the best thing to ever happen to Taylor's career. Her video was actually adorable and I have been rocking out to it on YouTube for the past couple of weeks. I understand why it won. I think she is actually very talented. But I think there were a lot of people out there who didn't know who she was. Think of how many more people have watched her video now after hearing about this fiasco than would have ever watched it otherwise. And she has the sympathy of the entire nation. People are going to remember her.

The second thing I want to say about it is that a bunch of reporters were talking to the President about it and asked his opinion and Obama said that Kanye was a "jackass." I have the feeling Obama will probably take some heat for saying that, but how low does that make Kanye feel? To have people in the media talk about you being a jerk is one thing but can you imagine having the President of the United States call you a jackass? Ouch.

1 comment:

  1. There are some things that shouldn't surprise anyone, like: grass is green, the sky is up, and Kanye is a jackass.

    I think you're right that TS got some great exposure out of the events. As for KW? Well, he got more exposure and he always seems to be looking for more exposure.

    ReplyDelete