I've gotten over my hatred of the word "blog." The word really used to bother me. Probably because it begins with the sound "blah!" I would even call this my website instead of my blog. I'm over it. I am a blogger. I blog, therefore I am.
I was reading over this woman's shoulder the other day on the el. It looked like she was doing some assigned reading for a grad school class. The article was about blogging and how bloggers are happier than non bloggers.
It made me stop and wonder if that is really true. It also made me wonder what class she was taking.
The reason bloggers were supposedly happier is that through blogging they felt more connected with the world.
I don't know about that. I think it is probably true. I guess I feel more connected with the three or four people that actually read my blog. And if I had some crazy popular blog with a huge following then I would feel more connected with the world at large.
I do know that it is therapeutic for me. Sort of like writing in a journal. And that is definitely beneficial for my mental well-being.
I kind of wish that everyone wrote a blog. I want to know all the stupid thoughts that go through people's heads.
I sat here and thought about that for a few minutes and changed my mind. Judging by some people's status updates on Facebook, i.e. "so sick and tired of the haters out there!" I probably wouldn't want to read their blog. But for most people I would like to. I guess it matters how they wrote their blog. Do they write it impersonally as if the whole world was going to read it so it must be p.c. and bland? Do they use it as a vehicle to vent about the crap that happens in their life? Or do they write it as if they really were writing in their journal? That's the stuff that I want to read.
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting concept that people who maintain websites (I do not call them blogs) are happier than those who don't. I am diligent about 5-6 posts a week because 1)I feel responsible for the people I know will read it, and 2)I know the content is saved and is a day-to-day journal of my life. I do not write it with the filter that my parents are going to read it, but then again I won't swear in it bc they are going to read it.
ReplyDeleteAnd an emerging pet peeve of mine are people who claim to run a website when all they do is post embedded Youtube videos or links to articles. I could have found those myself, thanks.