Do you know what I love about the el? It keeps me feeling young and hip, like I really have my finger on the pulse of street culture.
A boy, who I am guessing was in his late teens or early twenties got on the el with me today and sat kiddie-corner behind me (or caddy-corner for all you weirdos!) and proceeded to have a phone conversation which was basically setting up a drug deal between him and "Fudge." "Fudge" is not pronounced just like the chocolate dessert, you have to make your voice deeper and draw out the "uh" as in "Fuuuuuuudge."
Anyways, when he was done with his conversation he said, "Excuse me?" And since I was the only person remotely near him, I looked over to see what he wanted. He continued, "Now, I don't want you to take this the wrong way... but girrrl, you are thick."
I'd like to convince myself that this was just a slang word for pretty but judging by the look he gave me I'm guessing he actually meant thick. As in, you have thighs as thick as tree trunks.
Why would a girl take that the wrong way? Let's just say that after the look I gave him, he did not try talking to me anymore.
Friday, September 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Um, that's weird. You definitely get some interesting, uh, compliments!
ReplyDeleteDon't forget when the dudes at my neighborhood bodega were chatting you up Labor Day weekend letting you know that "gringa" means pretty. Huh, I always thought it meant "white girl."
N.B., the actual word is "catercorner." If you'd really like to get strange looks, use that instead of the kiddie or caddy slang.
ReplyDelete(File this minutiae right after "couldn't care less" vs. "could care less.")
Can you please start calling me Fuuuuudge?
ReplyDelete