Thursday, March 18, 2010

word of the day

So everyday I get a "word of the day" email.

Occasionally I already know the word which makes me feel like a big smarty.

Otherwise I get to learn a new word (if I can actually remember it.)

My favorite part of the emails is that at the bottom they tell you the origin of the word. Knowing the origin usually helps me to remember the word by making me recognize the root word. Other times, like with one of this week's words, it is just really interesting:

solecism \SOL-uh-siz-uhm\, noun:

1. A nonstandard usage or grammatical construction; also, a minor blunder in speech.
2. A breach of good manners or etiquette.
3. Any inconsistency, mistake, or impropriety.


...


Solecism comes from Latin soloecismus, from Greek soloikizein, "to speak incorrectly," from soloikos, "speaking incorrectly," literally, "an inhabitant of Soloi," a city in ancient Cilicia where a dialect regarded as substandard was spoken.



Snap! Look at us coming up with a whole word to mock the way these people talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment