Monday, March 1, 2010

lice

I don't know if I have posted about this before so I apologize if it is a repeat. I haven't even been blogging a year and I already might be repeating myself?! Yikes!

Do you know what one of my biggest fears is?

Getting lice.

I've never had it but the thought of it just creeps me out.

I had a dream that I had bugs on me the other night and I woke up and was freaking out, convinced that I could actually feel bugs on me.

That's the problem, once you start thinking about it, then it really does feel like there is a bug on you. Mental case.

I ride the train almost daily with the masses. The dirty, hygiene-phobic masses. And I am terrified that I am going to pick up some nastiness on the train.

But really my fear started my freshman year of high school. We had to take a swimming test and were given swimming caps to wear from the school. We also had to wear school issued swimsuits from the seventies that had lost most of their elastic. Let me tell you, that was fun.

Later that day I was in gym class. Since it was the first day of classes we do this thing where everybody in your gym period (say it was 7th period) gathers together in the field house on the bleachers. There are cones set up on the floor of the field house that say the name of a class, i.e. "square dancing" or "softball." The teachers call out "seniors" and the seniors all go running to line up behind the cone for the class that they want to take. Then juniors get to go and so on and so forth. Obviously the more popular classes fill up first (meaning the freshman get screwed.) And it is a crazy melee. Not really the safest thing ever either, but whatever.

However, I was waiting on the bleachers and didn't know anybody yet and was sitting by myself and this pair of awful mean sophomore girls was sitting behind me and they were whispering to each other (but a whisper that I was intended to hear) about how they could see bugs crawling in my hair and how I had lice.

And of course, once you hear that, you can FEEL the bugs crawling in your hair.

So I pretended to ignore them, but after school I went to the nurse's office to get checked out! Yeah, totally did NOT have lice (or any bugs for that matter) in my hair. What jerks!

It's kind of funny though. But that is what started my fear of getting lice.

No comments:

Post a Comment