Sunday, January 31, 2010

What is healthy?

Would you define yourself as healthy? What is healthy?

We live in a Western society. Western medicine tends to define healthy as not sick. No signs of disease. That's one way to look at it, and a lot of people would agree with that.

But there is another way to look at it...





Lack of disease just gets you to the neutral point. But you can keep going and really achieve so much more.


The example that I am thinking of is depression, because it affects me and a lot of my friends. To the left you would have suicidal thoughts and sadness. In the center you would feel okay. But on the right you could really be happy.


It's the same with your physical health and your spiritual health.


A large part of my job is taking people who are in pain and getting them back to that neutral point where it doesn't hurt. If I can get them there, people are thrilled. But more often than not, we can go beyond that to the point where people will actually feel good.


I'm not against Western medicine at all. They cured my mom of cancer. If I have a problem, I will go and seek the help of a doctor.


I just don't like that Western medicine sets the bar so low. They are happy with neutral health. I don't want neutral health. I want good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment