Tuesday, January 5, 2010

misspellings

One of the pet peeves of my best friend is when restaurants and advertisements use misspelled words purposefully. For example, Taco Bell invites young ones to join the "Kidz Klub." As Jamie said, how are kids expected to learn how to spell when they see these misspelled words everywhere?

It's a valid point. While I am willing to overlook misspellings and grammar mistakes in friendly emails and text messages, I am a firm believer that things that are sent out to mass groups of people should be proof read and spell checked.

Therefore, I was a little bit disturbed at an ad I saw on the el the other day. It is about students having an option when it comes to what Chicago school they attend.

Let me repeat that, it is about them having a choice in which SCHOOL (where they go to learn proper English and grammar!) they attend.

The girl in this poster has a choice. Hopefully it is the choice to not go to the same school as whatever school the ad genius who came up with this poster went to where they obviously didn't teach them that "i" is always capitalized, especially when it is the beginning of a sentence!

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I stared at the photo for about 10 seconds and said "I have a choice" and "I has a choice" and was thinking--seriously, it's "I have a choice", right? I think my brain completely glossed over the I that should've been capitalized. Oops.

    I HATE misspellings on menus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Most times they aren't even making the words shorter. So annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And get rid of the entirely gratuitous exclamation point!

    ReplyDelete