Wednesday, January 6, 2010

lists

I had a friend make a comment to me about one of my postings that I thought was weird. They told me that they don't like to make lists for an odd reason, "I don't like creating lists of things I would like to do because there is a chance I would exclude something I didn't know I would enjoy doing."

That doesn't make sense to me. Because it isn't like I would ever pass up on a great new opportunity that came my way simply because it wasn't already on a list of things that I wanted to do. The lists of things I want to do are not rigid rules to follow, they are mere guidelines to point me on my way when I start to get lost and think, "What do I want to do with my life?" That's why I enjoy revisiting those lists, because it is fun to see how the things I have wanted to do have changed as I have gotten older and tried other things.

But they did make another suggest that I liked, which was to make a list of the amazing things that happened to me this year that were not on the list.

It has been quite a year for me- this time last year I was packing up my rat infested apartment! A lot has happened and a lot has changed.

2009 in review (but in no particular order):

1. I was practically attacked by a rat. Though no actual physical contact was made, he was definitely charging me in a very bull-like manner until I started screaming my head off and he veered off into the kitchen.

2. I started playing volleyball again and realized how much I absolutely love the game and how much fun it is to play when your team doesn't consist of a bunch of snotty teenaged girls.

3. I started going on nightly walks (or at least a couple of times a week) with my sister where we opened up and communicated and shared like we never had before.

4. I took a seven month (much needed) break from dating. And loved it.

5. I painted my room. But more importantly I created a space for myself.

6. I flew first class.

7. I fell in love. Glad to know my heart is still capable of that. Past boyfriends haven't ruined me permanently!

8. I watched a sunset slip down over the Grand Canyon.

9. I traveled. It's been a long time since I've traveled and I have missed it. Once you get the travel bug in you, it is a disease that doesn't go away. I'd been itching to travel. This past year I went to Texas, Las Vegas, Atlanta and Minnesota.

10. I discovered Peter Lik's photography. Which kind of blew my mind and made me really excited. It's sort of like if you had never heard of Da Vinci and then one day stumbled across his works. Not that his works are similar to his in any way, I guess what I am trying to say is that it is fun when you randomly (while stumbling around a Las Vegas casino) stumble upon a true master. Check him out. And buy me one of his limited edition prints! http://www.peterlik.com/

11. I got laser hair removal done which has made my life so much happier/easier/ less hairy.

12. I lost a couple of my regular clients (not dead, they just stopped coming) and dealt with it.

13. I started playing tennis and was reminded of what it is like to be a beginner at something.

14. I attempted pole dancing and was reminded of what it is like to be AWFUL at something.

15. I joined a book club where I met a slew of terrific, intelligent women.

16. I have really opened myself and shared myself with a lot more people. Took chances at getting hurt.

What is funny about number 16 is how it is true, but not necessarily true for this blog. I still hold back a lot on this blog. For example, I am willing to tell you that I fell in love this year but not willing to go into the details. And I'm not willing to delve into the past and the things that made me wonder if I would ever fall in love again. But anything you want to know about me making an ass out of myself at pole dancing class, I will gladly tell ya!

This list is impossible. I give up. How can I create a list of all the things that happened to me this year? Way too many things! There were big things like moving back to the suburbs and learning to love it. And small things like the time the woman on the street in Vegas told my boyfriend that he was lucky to be with me because I was pretty and "had a black woman's ass!"

So many moments. So many memories. Time to stop blogging and go make some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment