I mention this because it is not a normal occurrence.
I get asked for money all the time. But I rarely give. Why? Because I am bitter and jaded. I believe the majority of them are scam artists. And as for the people who claim to be so hungry? I know that the homeless shelters have a SURPLUS of food. If you are hungry, go there.
So why did I give this guy money today? Because he had a REALLY good spiel! And quite frankly, even if he does end up being a scam artist, he did such a good job asking for the money that I feel he deserves it.
His whole approach was that he had gotten out of jail (was released, not escaped!) a week ago and is looking for work. He had resumes with him and asked if anyone knew of a job that would hire an ex-convict and asked for us to take his resume or give him any leads.
He also asked for money so that he could continue his job search and buy a 7-day train pass. He was asking us for money because he never wants to resort to stealing again.
A bunch of us gave this guy some spare change or a dollar. Interesting how if someone is just down on their luck, we won't necessarily help them, but if we see someone who is trying to better their life, we are willing to lend a hand.
Do we believe that lending money to people who are down on their luck won't help them get to a better place? Why don't I give to those people?
This guy had it right... he knew exactly what we wanted to hear... that people can change... that given a chance and a little help, that he could avoid a life of crime and become a good, hard-working citizen. He gave us hope. And I will gladly give up a few dollars in change for a little hope.
That is so interesting, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteI hope he was truthin', but even bigger is that - believe he was no matter what. It doesn't matter. You gave that time! AWESOME!