Monday, November 29, 2010

coolest museum in the world

Having grown up right next to Chicago, I have been pretty spoiled when it comes to cultural things. We have some of the greatest museums ever in Chicago so it takes a lot to impress me when I go to other towns and visit their museums.

I was a little skeptical when my brother told us we were going to Tellus museum about an hour outside of Atlanta. I'm so glad I went though because it blew my mind! It was the greatest museum ever, filled with a rather random collection of exhibits.

My favorite was probably where you got to pan for gemstones like old fashioned miners and actually keep the gems (shards really) that you find.



Then you get to go excavating! There is a "sand" pit, filled with little rubber bits that are similar to sand in that they can cover things up and you can brush them away, but don't make nearly the mess. So you got to take your brush and unearth dinosaur bones!



You also got to dig through the sand to find fossils, which you again got to to keep.

They had a sweet dinosaur exhibit... where you got to touch fossilized dinosaur poop! Yuck!





This guy's head was like two and a half feet across!

They also had an amazing gem/mineral/rock exhibit.

Check out this periodic table! They gave you examples of things made from a lot of the elements!



If you are ever in the area you HAVE to go there, especially if you have young kids with you! Or 31-year old girls named Nikki!

No comments:

Post a Comment