Sunday, August 30, 2009

quotes

I love quotes. I think my love of quotes started in high school. My sophomore year English teacher and I didn't get along that well, until the very end of the year. I can't remember why we didn't get along or why we suddenly clicked but we ended up being good friends. For the next two years I would visit her class in the mornings before school. She would put a quote on the board every day. She let me go through her big box of quotes and choose one. Occasionally she had specific ones that she wanted that tied into whatever her class was reading but usually I got to pick whatever struck my fancy.

It's because of teachers like her that I occasionally think about going back to school and becoming an English teacher. And then I remember what all my friends who have either become teachers or tried to become teachers have told me about their experiences. You don't just get to teach prospective Carleton students who love to read and learn. You have to teach the pesky little students too. The ones who don't want to be there and want to make your life a living hell. No thanks.

Where was I going with this? Sorry, I am very hung over right now. Quotes. Right, quotes. My new favorite quote that I ran across a few months ago and that has really stayed with me is:

"Just think how happy you would be if you lost everything you have right now, and then got it all back again."

It's so true. I have so much to lose. I have my health, I have my family, my friends, my teeth, my looks, my athletic ability, my house, my job, my possessions, my safety, my security, my brain.

I would hate to lose any of that. So who cares if I didn't win the huge lotto jackpot on Friday? I've still got an amazing life.

No comments:

Post a Comment