I'm not going to pretend like I am some really great person because I will admit right off the bat that yesterday afternoon came around and it was time for me to go give the massages and I did NOT want to do it. I would have much rather stayed home and taken a nap.
But every now and then I have to actually do some of the things that I preach about and walk the walk so that I don't feel like a total hypocrite.
For example, I often think about how much of a better place it would be if we all stopped and took five minutes to clean up the litter in our neighborhood. But how often do I do that?
I want to live in a world where people are good and loving and help others. We all do. But for that world to exist that means that we have to step up and do those things.
That was the pep talk I gave myself to get me out the door and into the massage room.
Of course, once I am there the power of what is going on just takes over. Sort of like how it takes a lot of motivation to get yourself to exercise but once you are exercising it goes just fine.
I had two clients yesterday. And I never know what I am going to get. They can be almost totally healthy. They can be horribly sick. Yesterday I had one of each.
My first client was pretty healthy despite having breast cancer and having ongoing radiation treatments (that really burnt her breast two weeks ago) and she had a big knot in her shoulder that she was asking me about. She wanted to know how it gets there. I explained some of the causes- repetitive motion, bad posture, sleeping on your side or stomach, carrying heavy things, the cold weather. And then I said that a major one was simply stress. She replied that she didn't have any stress in her life.
I laughed and said that you don't usually hear someone who is dealing with all this cancer stuff say that they don't have any stress! She responded that apart from the radiation and losing her hair to chemo that this has been like a nine month vacation for her! She has volunteered, she ate out a lot, went on retreats, etc. She is going back to work next week. She said that you just have to make up your mind that you are going to beat the cancer and then do it.
My second client had to have both breasts removed and now the cancer has metastized (sp?) to her liver. She has a huge goiter looking thing coming out of her stomach. I had to help her onto the table, I had to help her get dressed afterwards. Just not even being able to put on your own socks and shoes? Can you imagine?
There is already so much that I don't take for granted. It is something that I constantly work on. But there is always more! I don't take for granted my ability to run and play soccer- I am super thankful for that. But yes, I did take my ability to put on my own socks for granted!
I took my ability to lay face down without getting vertigo for granted.
I took having hair for granted.
I took having boobs for granted.
I took my ability to stand up from a seated position for granted.
So just want to give a big shout out to the Universe and say thanks for all I have. You rock!
No comments:
Post a Comment