Wednesday, April 13, 2011

um, like, you know I'm a teacher and stuff

I know that it's not productive and I should be a good student and sit there obediently. I know. But my teacher was driving me nuts. I end up focusing on her annoying habits rather than her info.

It really makes me want to work on my public speaking skills. She says "um" and "you know" to the point of distraction.

So last night I decided to count them. Class starts at 6:30 and I didn't start counting right away, it wasn't until she had said "um" about ten times that I got out a sheet of paper and started tallying them. (so those original ten are not included in the final count)

But let's say from 6:30 to 6:45 (when I decided to put my paper away and start paying real attention to what we were learning) she said "um" 35 times. And she said "you know" 47 times.

And from 7:00 to 7:03 she really got on a roll and said "um" 8 times and "you know" 27 times.

27 times in three minutes.

Um, that's like really annoying, you know?



Okay, so this was a video I took in class, I was being discreet about it so all you see is my chair but you can hear her sort of. I was worried that she would NOT say "um" or "you know" while I was videotaping her, just to prove me wrong, but she does!

3 comments:

  1. Um, that's like, hilarious, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cats, how does ANYONE pay attention to her? You should do her a favor and tell her. She needs to know, and once she's aware, she can be a better teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly she's chosen writing as her preferred means of communication since public speaking is about as natural to her as um, something she doesn't know (you know). I agree she needs to know - worst case is that she's entirely unaware.

    ReplyDelete