Tuesday, February 8, 2011

witchy woman

I've been writing up a storm lately. Obviously NOT on this blog. Mostly on my novel. I hate to talk about my novel because none of my friends are big fantasy reading dorks. A lot of my friends have read Harry Potter, which is as fantasy as it gets, but they still claim that they don't read fantasy books. I think they just have this weird stereotyped image of what "fantasy" novels include/entail and they picture the really dorky, fat kid they went to high school with who played Magic and had a unicorn on his shirt. And they don't want to be associated with that. I can't say that I blame them.

But it makes me hesitant to talk about writing a novel about witches, knowing that my friends aren't into that. I know that millions of people ARE into that, so I will still have a good reading base if I ever get it finished and published, but it still doesn't make me want to necessarily talk to you guys about it.

However, since I need a little break from writing about that and have been neglecting this blog, I will tell you a little bit about what I have been writing/researching.

Back in the day, let's say like 1483, these dudes got together and published the Malleus Maleficarum which was basically a handbook to dealing with witches. How to spot them, what the witches are capable of, how to handle them.

There is a lot of blah, blah, blah involved because they could never say anything simply back then.

But I stumbled upon one little gem last night...

"There is no man in the world who studies so hard to please the good God as even an ordinary woman studies by her vanities to please men."

Okay, come on, that's funny. Cuz it's true! Seriously if we spent half the time that we spend dolling ourselves up to attract the men folk and impress the other ladies as we did on something worthwhile like trying to cure cancer, we would have cancer beat in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment