Thursday, February 3, 2011

the blizzard

Just for prosperity's sake I am going to write a post about the blizzard. I have the feeling that this one will be talked about for many years. (the blizzard, not my post) Where were you when Kennedy was shot? Where were you during the blizzard on 2011??

I was holed up, warm and dry inside. I was with the eight million people who got out of work early and crowded onto the el at 2 PM. I was warm and fed and ready for a good storm.

And it was a good storm.

White-out conditions. Winds up to 40 mph. Lots of snow... even some lightning and thunder!

It was the first snow day I have ever had. My writing class was canceled on Tuesday night. When they first sent out the email telling us that on Monday night I was annoyed. It hadn't even started snowing yet. How bad could it be? This is Chicago after all, it's not like we've never had snow before, right?

Tell that to the people who are unable to get their cars out of the six foot tall snow drifts(there was only two feet of snow but it piled up high in some places)! Or to the people who got trapped in their cars overnight on Lake Shore Drive with 25 foot waves crashing down and visibility of two feet.

Okay, okay, so I guess it was right to cancel class.

I was a little disappointed that it stopped snowing by 10 AM on Wednesday. I will admit that I wanted this to be a storm of epic proportions. And I had nothing better to do. But I guess it is a good thing that it did stop when it did. And it is a good thing we don't have a roof over Soldier Field so we didn't have to worry about that collapsing. (sorry, Minnesotans, had to throw that one in there.)


No comments:

Post a Comment