Seriously, we massage therapists are the least secure people in the entire world. At least I can admit it, that's half the battle, right?
I had an awful client the other day. The worst part is that it SEEMED to go fine. Sometimes it is hard to read people. But it turned out that the poor girl hated her massage. I was crushed. My job is to make people happy and to make people feel better.
So I was super duper bummed. And stressed. And hating life.
A bit melodramatic? Perhaps. But that's the thing about massage therapists... we want people to LOVE us.
I've mentioned needing a new job and after working on this girl and the reaction I got from her, I was thinking, "I'm done! I never want to give a massage again! I'm awful. I'm a horrible therapist!"
Um, yeah... so it's been a rough few months and I perhaps take everything a little bit too personally.
But today (my first day back after that client) I had five treatments (four massages and one herbal wrap) and I ROCKED them! Even my client who just did an herbal wrap (which I think is a stupid thing to begin with) loved their treatment! And because of my bad experience with that girl I was extra good about communicating with my clients and I think that led to them being even happier than they would have been.
Because seriously, every single client was glowing and raving about me afterwards.
So that was a good learning experience and has made me a better therapist.
Ahhhhhhh!
Sigh!
Seriously, I needed that. I needed a reminder that I AM, in fact, very good at what I do. And I can make people happy and make them feel better.
I had one bad massage. It's not the end of the world. Or the end of my career.
I didn't let it affect my work or drag me down. I stepped up and did my job and did it well.
What can I say? I'm proud of myself and am feeling much better about life.
This probably doesn't need a blog entry but it will be good for me to go back to and look at the next time something happens and gets me down. A good reminder that no matter what happens, with the right attitude I am capable of pulling myself back up again and possibly becoming even better!
That's right! Rock on, crouton!
No comments:
Post a Comment